Wednesday, April 1, 2015

California Drought and Ongoing Anxiety: Bring Your Own *&#% Handkerchief to the WC Already!

High and Dry: Reservoir Levels Tell Only Half the Story, Leaving California Dry as Drought Continues Juliet Christian-Smith Juliet Christian-Smith, climate scientist March 31, 2015 

I just saw this article today from the Union of Concerned Scientists. This article is similar to others I have seen, highlighting the seriousness of California's years-long drought. This is exactly the kind of article I appreciate seeing because it represents sound research and rational planning. An article like this gives me hope that, "When we know better, we can do better," as Oprah says. However, these articles also keep me awake at night because, like any good science, the findings are presented, and conclusions do not go beyond the supporting data. I may never know if snowpack will start being used alongside reservoir level for water planning.

What this means is that I am often left hanging. "So, what should I do in response to the information I am receiving?" I would like to help through my individual behaviors, and I would like to engage in supporting broader actions like policy and infrastructure changes that will help our society live more sustainably.

For this reason, the following Science Do Now Blog post on KQED  caught my eye:

What's The Best Path to a Sustainable Future?



This blog is aimed at 6-12th grade students. The question in this article is whether we will achieve a sustainable future through individual behavioral change or government regulation. There are various links that go into more depth regarding how difficult it is to change behavior alongside the nod to governmental gridlock.

As a social psychologist turned sociologist myself, I do believe we can make significant progress through understanding what motivates behavior change. We have the social sciences to thank for powerful ideas like "diffusion of responsibility", "self-fulfilling prophecy", and of course, "cognitive miser". I would like to see more stories like this targeting not just students, but all of us who are anxiously looking around for practical solutions.

The cognitive miser in me loves it when there is a clear, "And here is what you should do" answer to a nagging question. Behold, there is an answer embedded in this blog!



The nagging question for today: "Are electric hand dryers more environmentally friendly than using a paper towel to dry my hands in a public restroom?"

One study conducted by students at the Rochester Institute of Technology found that switching from paper towels to electric hand dryers reduced carbon emissions by 75%, but 65% of study participants reported they still preferred paper towels. Most participants were not motivated to change their behavior despite evidence that they should switch to electric dryers.

This finding, alongside World Bank data indicating that Japan's per capita carbon emissions are about half the U.S.'s indicates the importance of cultural differences in similar economies. One point of difference is that, in Japan you won't find electric hand dryers or paper towels in public restrooms. Japanese people generally bring their own handkerchief to public restrooms so they don't expect these services. How hard is it really be to bring your own handkerchief (or manage with wet hands for a couple minutes)? About as hard as remembering to bring a bag to the store, I think.

I usually carried a handkerchief in my purse when I was an exchange student to Japan in the 1980s. I lived to tell the tale, but somehow, I stopped carrying my handkerchief when I moved back to the U.S. Like me, Miwako Kuwahara connected her American acculturation to the loss of her habit of carrying a handkerchief in her "My Turn: The Handkerchief as Cultural Touchstone".


 The thing is, Americans aren't used to doing this; it feels "foreign". Few will start doing it until they notice a critical mass of other people doing it too or have a solid reason to change a mundane habit. Because they just aren't thinking about it. We are cognitive misers and passive victims (and sometimes benefactors) of our powerful cultures. 

Bring a hanky, the earth will thanky. (No, I am not a poet.) Don't have a handkerchief? Write me, and I will send you one!

No comments:

Post a Comment